[linux-audio-user] Notebook for audio

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Wed Mar 26 15:39:00 EST 2003

I am using Inspiron 8200 (Dell).

Powerful machine, everything is supported (even modem and custom
buttons). Dell support is also very good: I had originally an
Inspiron8000 at 850Mhz that I bought 2 years ago, then it broke down
last year and I got total replacement -- an Inspiron8200 at 1.8Ghz :-)
(definitely get a good warranty if you choose to go with Dell). I even
upgraded the video card myself -- something unthinkable in the portable
world. The only thing that I did not test is the firewire port (although
I think I saw somebody mention that it works).

The bad part about it is that it 's around 7+ lbs, so it's definitely a
hefty notebook. Other than that, it's fast, has great video card (Radeon
9000 or Nvidia GF4go), soundcard is decent (CS4205 with built-in
SPDIF-out -- something I did not get to test), but for any serious audio
work I'd recommend an external pcmcia card, such as rme hammerfall dsp.
All notebooks I've seen so far including powerbooks have problems when
hooked up to external power, and only using some extreme techniques are
you going to be able to get rid of the resulting noise. Inspiron also
has the problem when hooked to the power outlet, but it seems to be ok
when running on battery. Furthermore, it does have 2 a spindle design,
so you can easily plop 2 batteries in for a 5+ hour uptime.

Hope this helps!

Ico