[linux-audio-user] (semi)professional "field" recording work, what to use?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 14 05:20:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:29:41 +0100, Anahata wrote:
> > consumer minidisc recorders are very compact which is good. But they
> > almost never have a digital out.
> [...]
> > A professional MD recorder which looks very good (the HHB PORTADISC
> > MDP500
>
> For the cost of the HHB potable recorder, you could buy a consumer
> minidisc recorder *and* and a consumer home MD deck which does have digital
> outputs.  This is what I do, and transfer the MD to the deck if I want to
> get the sound in to the PC.

Me too. I have an old consumer md reorder with broken analogue i/o in the
studio.

I have seen frames that you plug a consumer md recorder into that provide
phantom power, AD conversion and such and connect to the recorder over
spdif. I guess they were cheaper than a reporters md unit and smaller.

- Steve