[linux-audio-user] SCMS concerns (was: (semi)professional "field" recording work, what to use?)

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed May 14 10:05:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 08:11, Anahata wrote:
> that would be prohibited. Either MD would would work into your
> Terratec card though; I'm fairly certain that all computer sound cards
> ignore the SCMS bits.

I haven't tried it under Linux (hoping it was a Windows driver thing), but the
Roland UA-30 (USB outboard thingy) records silence under Windows if you try
to record a SCMS-restricted digital signal.  From what I understand it does
the same on the Mac, so I'm not that hopeful.  On the plus side, its digital
output is SCMS-free.

I seem to remember that some iteration of the SB Live did the same and that it
*was* a driver thing (a little dialog box would pop up saying "Copy
Restricted" or something.)  So you might have to get either something
high-end or something cheap and Taiwanese for it to ignore SCMS.

Rob