[linux-audio-user] SCMS concerns (was: (semi)professional "field" recording work, what to use?)

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Wed May 14 08:32:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:26:25PM +0200, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:

> I could buy e.g. a Terratec EWX 2496 which seems to work well under Linux,
> optically connected to a MD deck and use a portable recorder.

Yes...

> Won't I run into problems with SCMS (Serial Copy Management System)?
> Does SCMS also apply to my own vanilla recordings?

No: your own recordings will be set for "copy once". You can copy
it digitally to another MD (using the deck S/PDIF out to the portable
S/PDIF in, for example), but a second generation copy from
that would be prohibited. Either MD would would work into your
Terratec card though; I'm fairly certain that all computer sound cards
ignore the SCMS bits.

SCMS is pretty pointless, really. Nowadays anyone can cheaply load audio
onto a PC and burn CD's, and anyone who was seriously into mass copyright
infringement for profit could always spend a few more $CURRENCY on pro
gear and forget about SCMS.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444