[linux-audio-user] low latency

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Fri May 16 11:00:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 13:15:59 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> For those of you who don't follow the jack list there was a recent
> (semi) discovery htat greatly improves performance for journalled
> filesystems.
>
> The main problem is that jack writes data to a /tmp file. It has been
> found that mounting /tmp as tmpfs (in RAM) solves the problems that many
> people have experienced with lockups while using JACK.

I have been plagued with little xruns for a while now, and couldn't
figure out why!  I'd seen something on using /tmpfs, but for some odd
reason I thought it was for people using a journalled FS on their root
filesystem.  Duh!

I applied this this morning, and have been recording some things, and
have not seen a single xrun during recording!!!  Woohoooooo!  Hopefully
this puts an end to that little problem.

Thanks, Patrick!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com