[linux-audio-user] low latency

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri May 16 11:21:01 EDT 2003

Joe Hartley wrote on Fri, 16-May-2003:

 > > The main problem is that jack writes data to a /tmp file. It has been
 > > found that mounting /tmp as tmpfs (in RAM) solves the problems that many
 > > people have experienced with lockups while using JACK.
 >
 > I have been plagued with little xruns for a while now, and couldn't
 > figure out why!  I'd seen something on using /tmpfs, but for some odd
 > reason I thought it was for people using a journalled FS on their root
 > filesystem.  Duh!
 >
 > I applied this this morning, and have been recording some things, and
 > have not seen a single xrun during recording!!!  Woohoooooo!  Hopefully
 > this puts an end to that little problem.

This is interesting, can you please tell us what your filesystem
configuration is?   I am very interested in hearing how this might
help folks with different fs's on /tmp.   It was a particularly
dramatic improvement when /tmp was on reiserfs (when I discovered
the problem/solution).  If people are seeing xrun problems while
using JACK, I recommend that they try one the options mentioned
in my previous reply email, and let us know the results, and your
fs configuration.

jlc