[linux-audio-user] low latency

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 16 11:59:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:48:01AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > The main problem is that jack writes data to a /tmp file. It has been
> > found that mounting /tmp as tmpfs (in RAM) solves the problems that many
> > people have experienced with lockups while using JACK.
>
> I have been plagued with little xruns for a while now, and couldn't
> figure out why!  I'd seen something on using /tmpfs, but for some odd
> reason I thought it was for people using a journalled FS on their root
> filesystem.  Duh!

It was, what fs are you using for /tmp?

Another thing that may help is tuinng the disk elevator with elvtune(8),
the latencies are set pretty high by default, especially for scsi disks
that have thier own block grouping code.

Reducing it will reduce throughput, but may help things get written out
the disk earlier and reduce burstyness.

- Steve