[linux-audio-user] low latency

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri May 16 12:31:00 EDT 2003

> It was, what fs are you using for /tmp?
>
> Another thing that may help is tuinng the disk elevator with elvtune(8),
> the latencies are set pretty high by default, especially for scsi disks
> that have thier own block grouping code.
>
> Reducing it will reduce throughput, but may help things get written out
> the disk earlier and reduce burstyness.
>
> - Steve

Steve,
   I hesitate to take this thread in a different direction, so let me just
ask if this problem is possibly card dependent, or something that has really
been caused by recent changes to Jack?

   I have not been able to run Jack now for months, but 3 months ago, when
I was running Jack daily, I had my system on an ext3 drive and audio going
to a reiserfs drive, and with my HDSP 9652 I never once saw an xrun at any
latency setting of 256 or above. I might periodically get one at 128 and
would get a few more at 64. All of that under KDE using RH 8.

   Actually, I have run Jack over this period, but only using the on-board
sound chip, so that's pretty useless to me for anything other than looking
at GUI interfaces, but with that driver (snd-via82xx) I did see xruns.

   Why did I not see xruns with the HDSP 9652?

Mark