[linux-audio-user] Frustrated, small review on sequencers :(

Alexandre Prokoudine avp at altlinux.ru
Mon May 19 03:42:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 23:47:26 -0300
Juan Linietsky <coding at reduz.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi, I basically write this because i'm pretty frustrated :)
> Today I wanted to learn how to use a typical sequencer
> (I mantain my own midi sequencer, but it's not very typical)

This is the point where you should prepare to answer questions like
"Where can I take a look at it?" :-)))

> I suppose i'll wait a while until it becomes more usable.

There will be 0.9.1 bugfix release very soon

> Documentation is too basic to learn how to use the
> program efficiently. It also crashes a lot, but
> on more specific situations.

Did you try out 0.6.0 that was released last week?

> Brahms:
>
> Totally wicked interface, and I _hate_ the fact that relies on
> ARTS, It seems pretty basic, so I didnt give this much of a
> chance, didnt detect a simple thing (midi/audio).

Is not maintained at the moment, AFAIK

> JAZZ++
>
> Saw some screenshots, looked-like-motiff. Didnt even want to try
> it.

Is not mainteined as well

> So I propose something, i dont know if anyone
> writes professional music with these.
> Does anyone use such programs at all
> Could you post project files for these,
> and would you like to explain in brief
> how do you use them efficiently?

I remember Mark Knecht composing in RG.
Any comments, Mark? :-)

And I remember some guy on Rosegarden users listwho introduced some
music composed by his sister. It was a really good stuff. I still
use these compositions for testing. Can send you some, if you'd like
to :-)

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team