[linux-audio-user] audio cdrom permissions

Paul Perkins speaker-to-vegetables at pobox.com
Mon May 19 10:18:59 EDT 2003

Under 2.4.x kernel (or earlier), burning CDs (and possibly ripping audio
CDs too) needs access to the "generic scsi" device for the drive (don't
you love those violent terms for copying data?). Conventionally called
/dev/sg0, device (21,0). The "0" may be another number if you have
multiple real or emulated SCSI devices. I'm not sure, but I think this
may change in the 2.6 kernel series.

If some of the applications you are using are installed with set-uid,
(perhaps on a helper program rather than the main one), that would
explain why similar actions may only work as user root in one
application, but work as a normal user in another application.

--
sigmotto: Liberty is theft.