[linux-audio-user] audio cdrom permissions

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon May 19 17:09:00 EDT 2003

hi gang,

still tracking this problem, so let me reply to the two kind people that
have written so far. to clarify, i am trying to RIP audio, not BURN it.
it seems both folks started thinking about write permissions and not
necessarily read permissions.

devdsp at mail2.inform.dk wrote:

>>The easiest way is to chmod all of these entries to 777. You need to be able to
>>write to your CD-ROM drive as a regular user, after all :)

i have done this, and it makes no difference. also, being a member of
group "cdrom" and "disk" doesn't make much diff, so i can't imagine that
being in "cdromwriter", as you suggest elsewhere, would change this.....
funny thing is that it ACTS like i haven't changed these permissions! as
you can see below, when i try chmod 777, it doesn't affect it, even
though i am 'su'... what am i doing wrong here?

debian:/home/derek# chmod 777 /dev/sg0
debian:/home/derek# ls -al /dev/sg0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           36 May 19 22:15 /dev/sg0 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic

Paul Perkins wrote:

>Under 2.4.x kernel (or earlier), burning CDs (and possibly ripping audio
>CDs too) needs access to the "generic scsi" device for the drive (don't
>you love those violent terms for copying data?). Conventionally called
>/dev/sg0, device (21,0). The "0" may be another number if you have
>multiple real or emulated SCSI devices. I'm not sure, but I think this
>may change in the 2.6 kernel series.

i do have a /dev/sr0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           36 May 19 22:15 /dev/sg0 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic

and the new permissions for its target are as follows:

debian:/# ls -al /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 ..
brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jan  1  1970 cd
crwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      21,   1 Jan  1  1970 generic

once i changed the permissions sucessfully to those above, cdparanoia
gives me this when i try to Query an audio CD:

--------------begin
debian:/home/derek# cdparanoia -vQ
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
    Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
        /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
    Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
        generic device: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
        ioctl device: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
    SG interface version 3.1.24; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502 1711

Checking for SCSI emulation...
    Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
    Drive is MMC style
004: Unable to read table of contents header

Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?
-----------------end

so i am still not sure what the problem is....

>If some of the applications you are using are installed with set-uid,
>(perhaps on a helper program rather than the main one), that would
>explain why similar actions may only work as user root in one
>application, but work as a normal user in another application.

none of the apps were knowingly installed set-uid... they all came from
deb packages, though, so i know of no way to tell for certain. how to
find out? how to change?

it's stuff like this that makes me think my laptop is haunted ;-)

thanks for your suggestions,
derek