[linux-audio-user] usb midi

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 12:54:00 EDT 2003

Hi Clemens,

Thanks for the reply. I still don't understand where
the usb-midi i/o device is.

Here's my device chain Tascam DM-24 digital mixing
consol and ardour.
DM-24 (mmc) -> to Ardour, Ardour (mtc) -> DM-24

The DM-24 sends a deferred play (type =3) to Ardour
and causes the Ardour transport to play engage. Ardour
in turn replies with MTC to syncronize the location of
the DM-24 transport with itself.

I've used 'dd...' to look for incoming messages:
'dd bs=1 if=/dev/snd/midiC1D0'

There's no messages passing through /dev/snd/midiC1D0
which is the device I use with the Audiophile 2496 for
example <MIDI-port tag="midisport"
device="/dev/snd/midiC1D0" type="alsa/raw"
mode="duplex"/>.

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

ron