[linux-audio-user] usb midi

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon May 26 15:06:01 EDT 2003

R Parker wrote:
> I still don't understand where the usb-midi i/o device is.
> There's no messages passing through /dev/snd/midiC1D0

This file handles all nine ports. The ALSA library uses a magic IOCTL to
select the desired port; when you access the file directly, you get the
first port only.

If possible, you should use a program that can access MIDI ports via the
ALSA library (the 8x8's ports would be named "hw:1,x", x = 0..8).

If you want to access other MIDI ports than the first with a device file,
you have to load the snd-virmidi driver, which will give you some virtual
MIDI ports, and to connect these ports to the 8x8's ports with aconnect.

HTH
Clemens