[linux-audio-user] Re: Soundblaster Live w/Live Drive

Adam King aking at lgh.com.au
Sun Nov 2 19:08:54 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reuben Martin" <MartinR at jbu.edu>
To: "A list for linux audio users" <linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 10:40 AM
Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: Soundblaster Live w/Live Drive

> >Yes, I'm using qjackctl, but all I have is capture_1, capture_2,
> >playback_1, playback_2. I've got it set to hw:0, but these are the
only
> >ports I get.
> >
> >- Adam
>
> That's probably because these are the only ports the sound card
directly supports. (I can't be sure, I don't own one) The multichannel
support is probably only available when you send an encoded digital
stream to the card (something like AC3 for example) and the card then
decodes it with an onboard chip for multichannel sound.

> Cards like these are generally not true multichannel cards in the
sense that you would use for professional audio applications. They are
consumer grade cards that feature onboard multichannel decoding so that
Joe wintel user can have his surround sound while watching DVDs on his
computer.

> You could try looking around in the documentation available on ALSA's
sound card matrix, online documentation or wiki.

> regards
> -Reuben

I understand that the Soundblaster Live is a consumer card... playing
with audio apps is still just a bit of a hobby so I can't justify
spending the cash on a pro sound card. I just want to know whether it is
technically possible to do what I want, I'd like to be able to use the
headphone monitoring features in apps like jackEQ and Sweep.

I've tried looking around ALSA's site, wiki, etc. but can't really find
a straight answer.

Cheers,
Adam