[linux-audio-user] Audio typing

Joe Button linux-audio-user at joebutton.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 06:33:39 EST 2003

Hi.

I know this isn't the kind of thing that generally gets discussed on this
list, but it does kind of relate to linux audio.

I have an hour or so of taped conversation I need to type up. I was planning
to record it to my hard disk so I can do everything from the keyboard.

What I'd like to be able to do is set up keyboard shortcuts for rewind / pause
etc that I can use without task-switching out of the wordprocessor.

If I understand correctly one way of doing this would be to set up a global
keyboard shortcut that runs a program that sends a jack_transport message to
the audio app. If I had lots of time or a bit more experience I might be
inclined to set something like that up for the sake of my education, but I
suspect it would end up taking considerably longer than the typing itself! Is
there a simpler solution I'm missing?

If anyone has any ideas for an efficient audio-typing system I can use on
Mandrake 9.2 please let me know.

Thanks.