[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Fri Nov 21 08:14:00 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:22:57AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Anyone want to defend the use of artsd?

I'll take a swing.  It's a working way to get multiple stream output
for applications.  Yes, we would scoff at its performance but that's not
important.  I don't really care if xmms and gaim have some amount of
latency in their playback.  All I care is that the sound comes out
within a reasonable amount of time.

So this would let there be two classes of audio apps - important ones,
and unimportant ones ::-).  Important apps like ardour can use JACK directly
and have synchronized operation and low-latency.  Unimportant apps like
gaim can just go "bong" at some point when they need to.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.