[linux-audio-user] Great news for JACK & KDE

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 21 20:40:23 EST 2003

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:19:26PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Well, but what's the point of having a soundserver at all when ALSA
> > can do the mixing of the bings and beeps with its dmix plugin itself?
> > Even format and samplerate conversion could be done with ALSA. The
> > advantage is, that a soundserver would not block the soundcard all the
> > time and thus has to be disabled by users.
>
> Well, KDE is suppoed to cover more than just linux, so they need a
> crossplatform sound API

Your certainly right here, I admit. But I don't think, that the
functionality of dmix belongs into a soundserver, let alone two. So
it's a very wise decision by Takashi, Jaroslav et al. to make this a
part of the soundsystem in general. Having a common sound API across
platforms is a different thing, but the KDE folks could just use
something like Portaudio instead here, which is availalble on many
more than Linux. If Artsd was just another kind of Portaudio, it would
be fine. (Although redundant)

I never used Artsd and have seldom used Esound, but with the advent of
dmix, they should go down in history as soon as possible, I think.
They did and still do disturb users.

ciao