[linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Nov 28 06:03:49 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Mark Constable wrote:

> Can you describe the fault(s) ? I just played "gap.not" back
> thru Timidity in alsaseq mode from Noteedit on an old 1.2ghtz
This   ^^^^^^^ is no problem. The error occurs if you use
the wavetable synthesizer of the Audigy2 card.

Als already stated: I'd use TiMidity instead. But
TiMidity loads the instruments not until they are really needed.

That is: If the clarinet keeps silent for - say - 20 measures
the clarinet waves are not loaded. In measure 20 TiMidity
starts loading the clarinet. This requires processor time
and leads to a short gap. (Also with my 2.4 GHz Intel)

Perhaps anybody knows how to change this behaviour?

I'd use FluidSynth instead. But is creates envelops for
strings as this were a xylophon (or so ...)

> Also, do the glitches still exist in a rendered wav file ?
> (where the sequencer engine does output via ALSA)

On http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/DROP/gap.html there
is now an MP3 file (594K)

The gaps appear after:

   12, 39, 43 and 47 seconds.

I used pmidi. But this does not matter. Yiu can use kmid or
tse3play or whatever you want: The gaps appear after
randomly choosen time :-((
--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)