[linux-audio-user] another report HDSP 9652/jack/ardour/hdspmixer

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Oct 2 14:35:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 10:47, Aaron Trumm wrote:

> yeah, I feel ya.  this make sense.  ground up.  I guess I keep going back to
> ardour because of not knowing exactly how to see anything - are there
> supposed to be meters in hdspmixer?

hdspmixer is really nothign but meters. All of the values that show up
in the GUI are just read from the hardware and displayed, but I promise
you, what's displayed in version 1.2 or lower is not of much value.

> hmmm.
>
> I think the first step is to get hdspmixer 1.3 to compile, which it's not.
> this is quite weird.  you mentioned hdsp.o - I found it and hdsp.c and
> friends in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/alsa-driver-0.9/something/rme9652 (excuse
> inaccurate directory, I'm at a different machine), but I don't know if this
> has anything to do with things.  I tried moving what is apparently an old
> version of hdspmixer out of /usr/bin to /usr/bin/oldhdsp just to get it gone
> without actually deleting it, and that didn't effect compiling of 1.3 (I
> didn't expect it to)

I think I mentioned that earlier, and possibly I shouldn't have. Your
system is obviously loading something since you see snd-hdsp in memory.
(lsmod) The *question* was *what version of hdsp.c/hdsp.o is the system
appears you have successfully loaded the version with Thomas's patch.
However, there is a possibility that you are still loading some earlier
version. If you want to be VERY careful, you might take the snd-hdsp
entry out of your modules.conf file, reboot, and then load it by hand
using modprobe snd-hdsp. You would want to make sure you point to the
right one though, which would be where ever you built it.

Also, take a look at
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r7/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652

(except change the Gentoo part to your kernel)

and make sure that the snd-hdsp.o file is the right date. If it is not,
then you might have correctly built the driver but you might still be

> saving THAT, it seems to me it would be time to skip that and configure the
> hdsp with the command line - so I actually expected to see results when I
> tried amixer.  but you're right, there needs to be a bit of reset happening.
> coming dangerously close to the 'ol red hat reinstall trick ;)

Well, you can see things using amixer, but it has no meters. alsamixer
does nothing with this driver and card, so do not bother with that.

What I did before Thomas and I got hdspmixer working was to use Jack and
Steve Harris's meterbridge to wire up meters for test purposes. That
will work assuming Jack will run for you. Use qjackctl and you'll be
able to wire the meterbridge meters to the ADAT hardware inputs, and the
Ardour outputs for that matter) very easily.

Since you have Ardour working, you could also just use it for input
meters. (This presumes you figure out how to get audio from the mixer to
the Linux box over ADAT.)

I'll be out of touch for the next few hours as I have some networking
problems here that I'm taking care of today.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark