[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

jordan muscott morsecode at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 13:33:01 EDT 2003

Im really sorry about the volume of nonsense here :(

Slackware 9.
PIII 866
alsa 0.9.7

Has anyone succesfully recorded via the spdif input on this card using
arecord? I'm getting lots of 'overuns' which result in jumps when I
playback the resulting file. I've just built a new kernel with low
latency but this has made no difference at all. For example:

[jordan at bootsy new]$ arecord -f dat -D spdif 909track.wav
Recording WAVE '909track.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Stereo
overrun!!! (at least 0.090 ms long)
overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)
overrun!!! (at least 0.061 ms long)
overrun!!! (at least 0.030 ms long)

This doesn't look ideal to me either:

[jordan at bootsy jordan]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      98023          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1556          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:     108365          XT-PIC  eth0
 11:      14874          XT-PIC  aic7xxx, ICE1712
 12:      27245          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 15:          2          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:      97983
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

If I use the nvidia drivers for my graphics card then nvidia appears on
irq 11 as well. My bios doesn't look like it supports setting irqs, and
I tried switching the slots that my ethernet card (eth0) and my sound
card are plugged into but they still appear on the same irqs.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Even if someone just
sais "no, it doens't work for me either", then at least I'll know that
I'm not the only person who has wasted money on this card :=(

regards, Jordan.