[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

jordan muscott morsecode at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 19:16:15 EDT 2003

Rick Taylor wrote:

> Strangely enough... so's your sound card.
>
> We'll assume that also means that you don't need the ide on 15. If you shut off
>ide1, the serial and parallel ports {Soundblaster and PAS always use 5 {or 7}
>and you can push {reserve} other {isa, unplug and play, etc...} stuff up to the
>higher IRQs you may be able to clear up enough space for the Maudio card. {and
>your hd} If there are other peripherals that aren't showing up and you don't
>need them... turn them off.
>
> {You don't really need a floppy if that's what the ide thing {I doubt it} is...
>I've set up many systems using a cd to boot/rescue with. It's not ever been any
>real problem.}
>
> If your bios really doesn't offer you the option to switch things around you
>can always do it in software. I've not run Slackware for 7-8 years... frankly
>I've forgotten how. None of the Systems {Suse, Redhat, Mandrake, Debian and lots
>of variants and versions {currently, I'm banging my head against the wall with
>HURD {it's actually fairly simple... I've just not had the time to read all
>of the set up stuff.}} I've run in the past 5 or so years has "given me the
>option".
>
> Slackware's really tough and it's not going to get a lot easier. It's made for
>folk that *really* know linux/unix, etc... {and masochists}. My suggestion would
>be to either buy or download Redhat, set it up and save the configs for the rest
>of the time you own the board. Alternately, {and probably better} there's a very
>small Debian distribution that's really easy and pretty sure fire. {Somewhere at
>http://www.debian.org } It's ~15o megs and gives you an entire system.
>Everything else you can set up over the 'net with dselect or apt-get.
>{Stick to stable for a couple months}

Thanks for that.... but I've just discovered that ecasound records
without any of the problems I was experiencing with arecord, so I'll
save your advice for when/if I get any other related problems :)

Oh btw, I did use Mandrake, and briefly Redhat for about 18 months
before I switched to Slackware, and to be honest I prefer Slackware... I
haven't had that much trouble setting things up how I want, ok
occasionally I have to plough through a few docs but thats not a bad
thing in the long run. (Debian does sound nice too, i agree).

regards, Jordan.