[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 - spdif in

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 8 23:55:01 EDT 2003

Benjamin Flaming <lau at solobanjo.com> wrote:
>Rick Taylor <ricktaylor at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>>  Slackware's really tough and it's not going to get a lot easier. It's made
>for> folk that *really* know linux/unix, etc... {and masochists}. My suggestion
>would> be to either buy or download Redhat, set it up and save the configs for
>the rest
>
>For the sake of offering an alternative view, I've found Slackware to be a
>*much* better distro for a hands-on learner like me.  I never really got into
>Linux very deeply until I switched over to Slackware.  Believe it or not, I

 I used Slackware, minilinux, minix and a few alternative Unices when I first
started with linux. To be fair to Slackware I've not used it since. Debian
turned out to offer me exactly what I wanted.

>think you have to know *more* in order to use Redhat or Debian for audio.  The
>simple reason is that the other distros introduce so many non-standard
>behaviors, that I could rarely even complete a simple HOWTO without some
>cryptic error message popping up.  Now that I've switched to Slackware, OTOH,

 :} Most distributions have their own docs. Debian adheres pretty closely to the
standards.

>things generally work right from the start.  Even Cinelerra, which (according
>to the web site) is supposed to be difficult to build from source, compiled
>without complaint and runs without a hitch.  Your milage may vary, of course ;)

 I've not gotten it to compile on anything. I've managed to get the binaries to
work on everything. I need the Canopus codec for several reasons. I'm stuck in
windows to do editing. I use linux for other than editing at the moment.
Eventually, I'll move everything to linux. At the moment I'm not willing to do
both.