AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Oct 9 20:30:01 EDT 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>>   And on the other hand, Linux based musicians who *want* their music to be
>>heard are cutting their nose off not making it extremely available through
>>mp3s. Frankly, independent of the perceived advantages of .ogg over mp3
>>(open source, sounds better, no licensing issues or royalty payments) it's
>>just good business to make your product usable by more people. That leads to
>>good stuff. Forcing people to go to .ogg seems like it's backwards to the
>>open source movement.
>

> I disagree. I see a necessity in trying to force people to use ogg or
> any other free (as speech) codec, before "digital rights protected"
> codecs get more widely used. It's politics, but I think it important.
> Mp3 is not an alternative here, because there already are more
> powerful commercial and DRM enabled codecs available and it is an
> important task to not let these take over.

I back you on this Frank. It's roughly equivalent to gpl'ing code. At
least from a philosophical perspective if not legal. Anyone who tries to
pass off an open source ogg release as their own music is just lame but
they should be encouraged to sample it and rework it to their hearts
content. I just wish flac was more widely accepted but that ain't gonna
happen.

Imagine if all cdplayers understood flac instead of cdda...

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman