AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 21:51:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 15:46, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> >>   And on the other hand, Linux based musicians who *want* their music to be
> >>heard are cutting their nose off not making it extremely available through
> >>mp3s. Frankly, independent of the perceived advantages of .ogg over mp3
> >>(open source, sounds better, no licensing issues or royalty payments) it's
> >>just good business to make your product usable by more people. That leads to
> >>good stuff. Forcing people to go to .ogg seems like it's backwards to the
> >>open source movement.
> >

> > I disagree. I see a necessity in trying to force people to use ogg or
> > any other free (as speech) codec, before "digital rights protected"
> > codecs get more widely used. It's politics, but I think it important.
> > Mp3 is not an alternative here, because there already are more
> > powerful commercial and DRM enabled codecs available and it is an
> > important task to not let these take over.

Frank,
   I acknowledge your right to have this opinion, but it isn't going to
change the basic fact that if a Windows user doesn't know how to listen
to your ogg, he isn't going to hear it.

   I think the real job to be done is to make ogg a standard that's
accepted by M$ one fo these days and just included in their Media Player
releases, so the user doesn't have to figure this stuff out. As I said,
I went 15 years without bothering until today. (Of course, I am a bit
slow!) ;-)

Mark

> I back you on this Frank. It's roughly equivalent to gpl'ing code. At
> least from a philosophical perspective if not legal. Anyone who tries to
> pass off an open source ogg release as their own music is just lame but
> they should be encouraged to sample it and rework it to their hearts
> content. I just wish flac was more widely accepted but that ain't gonna
> happen.

Patrick,
   I didn't understand your point. I didn't think we were talking about
passing other people's music off as our own. I thought we were saying
that Windows users cannot listen to ogg files without making adjustments
to their systems.

   I guess I just didn't follow your point.

Cheers,
Mark