AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 10 13:17:00 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

>    I acknowledge your right to have this opinion, but it isn't going to
> change the basic fact that if a Windows user doesn't know how to listen
> to your ogg, he isn't going to hear it.

You're right, but this doesn't bother me for my music. I have a link
to foobar2000.org on my site for all my Windows friends. I hope I can
promote it this way.

This is a whole other ballpark when it comes to "commercial" use. I
work for a public radio station's website and we support 3 formats for
live streams: RA, MP3 and WMA. WMA has by far the worst sound quality
but still is the most popular stream.

We sometimes get mails by open source advocates like me who ask for an
ogg stream. But as streams cost a lot of money and as ogg players
aren't in widespread we don't plan to support ogg in the near future.
It would be too much effort for us without really getting more
listeners by this action. It's a pity, but that's the way it is.

To me this is one more reason to advocate ogg where I can.

>    I think the real job to be done is to make ogg a standard that's
> accepted by M$ one fo these days and just included in their Media Player
> releases, so the user doesn't have to figure this stuff out. As I said,
> I went 15 years without bothering until today. (Of course, I am a bit
> slow!) ;-)

I don't think this will happen, but mp3 wasn't supported in earlier
Windows OSes almost everone has some kind of Winamp installed now. I'd
like that to happen with Ogg somehow, too. Winamp coming with ogg
plugin is a good chance.

ciao