AW: [linux-audio-user] ogg player for Windows?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Oct 10 18:36:01 EDT 2003

> > Isn't this just because it's what Windows Media Player tries to
> get first,
> > if the user doesn't ask for anything specific?
>
> Not in our case, see our streaming popup here:
> http://www.dradio.de/streaming/pop_up.html
>
> They have the choice without any recommendation by our side.

Yes, because in this specific case they are coming to a web page where the
user get choices. (BTW - yours streams just fine for me, so my problem with
KQED here in San Francisco must be a KQED problem and not a problem with my
machine.)

The case I was speaking of was when you open Windows Media Player and go to
the page called 'Media Guide'. On there, when ever I choose a link, it just
starts streaming, and as far as I can tell it's usually wma it's streaming.
I didn't get a chance to choose. M$ just said 'Give Mark wma data' and in it
comes.

If I tell Media Player to open your URL, it comes back telling me it
encountered a problem. If I was paranoid (I'm not) I would guess that M$
figured out you didn't have a wma data type and just refused to open it. ;-)

Thanks for the address though. Now I can work on my German!

Cheers,
Mark