[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 13 21:59:00 EDT 2003

Tim Orford <tim at orford.org> wrote:

>Ron is a shining example to us all. Personally i make
>european pop music which requires a lot more from your
>system than just capturing, editing, and playing back audio
>through a desk + outboard. European music is much more electronic
>than US stuff. It makes me laugh that people in the US even have
>an 'electronica' category.

 It's just that here most "real" electronica is constrained to academia or to
experimental/artsy categories ...None of which makes any money. {Actually, that
whole conceptual genre has fallen into real disfavor recently.}

 We have that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy to deal with as well {as opposed
to the watered down, imitative stuff that comes from that side of the pond.} The
American public has come to value things like depth and quality and a certain
"earthiness" that you just don't get with "Eurodisco."

 {Tho' you really couldn't tell it by looking at our charts. ... A few minutes
 on the streets or in some of our backwoods clubs would convince you.}