[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Oct 13 22:30:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:40, Rick Taylor wrote:
>  It's just that here most "real" electronica is constrained to academia or to
> experimental/artsy categories ...None of which makes any money. {Actually, that
> whole conceptual genre has fallen into real disfavor recently.}

Well, amongst our happy family of Linux Audio Users right here on this
list we have at least one very accomplished Electronica composer by the
name of Natasha Barrett. I purchased one of her CDs (yes, it was
actually available here in the US) and really dig it. I've listened to
it at least a dozen times in the last 2 weeks. (Be forwarned, it is
abstract in nature, but deliciously so...)

Natasha - please forgive me if I should not refer to your work as
'Electronica'. To my mind (and ear) it goes in that basic area, but I
probably don't have the education to try and classify it any further.

All I'll say is that at least this composer's work has not fallen into
disfavor with me.

>  We have that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy to deal with as well {as opposed
> to the watered down, imitative stuff that comes from that side of the pond.} The
> American public has come to value things like depth and quality and a certain
> "earthiness" that you just don't get with "Eurodisco."

This statement in a week when the Top 10, for the first time in History,
was completely comprised of all Black artists. Yes, our charts, and
apparently our brethren, have gone a different direction.