[linux-audio-user] OSS Emulation and .asoundrc files

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Tue Oct 14 12:17:00 EDT 2003

Hi,
   I'm not clear if this is possible at all. Can someone explain how I
might make a .asoundrc file that would only allow applications that use
OSS emulation to access specific playback channels.

   Currently any app that uses OSS emulation drives all 26 playback
channels on my HDSP 9652. This causes two problems:

1) Since my hardware mixes the 26 inputs into 2 stereo output pairs, the
output over-drives if the 26 inputs are loud.

2) Any app using OSS emulation blocks all other apps using OSS
emulation.

   What would be great, if it can be done, is to create a sort of
'virtual OSS' device in .asoundrc that only drove specific Alsa playback
channels, so that Mozilla, for instance, talked to a specific entry in
.asoundrc and ended up only driving two specific playback channels, like
playback_22 and playback_23.

   I would be willing to live with a requirement that all OSS apps had
to use the same sampling rate or blocking would occur. That's not an
issue for me.

   Is anything like this possible with Alsa?

Thanks,
Mark