[linux-audio-user] [ann] Test your ogg players at IRCAM'sResonances online off festival!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 17 12:13:12 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> > > today the IRCAM Resonances festival started.
> >
> > Thanks for the link - sounds wild! One handy feature that I've seen
> > some radio stations use is to send the name of the artist and track
> > to the gui of the ogg player, xmms in my case. I don't know how
> > practical that is with live streams, but it's very handy to know who
> > is playing, so you can find them on the web later.

There is a schedule page on the site, but this would be handy, I
agree.

> > I guess you could even send a URL as part of the meta information, so
> > you could launch a browser window automatically and read up on the
> > artist as you are listening.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Daniel
>
> I've failed the test so far:
>
> 1) My Windows box at work doesn't stream ogg. foobar2000 doesn't seem to
> support that.

Make sure, you configure a proxy, if you must do that. Also ogg
streaming was broken until foo2k 0.7. But it should work now.

> 2) My Gentoo box doesn't seem to be set up inside of Mozilla to stream ogg.

No kidding, but: You could try "wget" instead. I used that yesterday,
because I wanted to grab the concert to a file as well. Just wget the
URL and listen to the constantly growing ogg file.

You also can input the ogg stream URl directly into xmms or
alsaplayer. With alsaplayer this is a bit strange, because you need to
copy the URL to the File->Open dialog instead of a file. If it starts
with "http://..." it will stream instead of looking for a file. Last
but not least ogg123 should support streaming, too.

ciao