[linux-audio-user] recent hydrogen / jack / ardour

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Oct 24 23:42:23 EDT 2003

Mathias Lundgren wrote on Sat, 25-Oct-2003:

 > lördagen den 25 oktober 2003 01.10 skrev Paul Winkler:
 > > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:44:31PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
 > > > seems to be building now, thanks!
 > >
 > > and it runs.
 > > damn, hydrogen is fun. wish i had this years ago.
 >
 > Yes, it's neat. The things you don't do to run bleeding edge...
 > One thing that I think is a little sad is that it's not realtime safe... (at
 > least it wasn't last time I checked). I'd really love to have the possibility
 > to use it from a sequencer and get the output via Jack. Okay, it works, but
 > in case you need to increase jack's period things get shaky and unsynced.
 > Hydrogen and zynadd running realtime safe together with jack and MusE, that
 > would be something. Oh, and the possibility to have ladspa send effects in
 > hydrogen. Then I'd be happy as a bee.

You can turn on JACK ports for each instrument, then run them
through jack-rack or similar (or into ardour).

Can you be more specific about the problems with increased periods?
I would like to further contribute to hydrogen's realtime safeness
(although precision and accuracy problems you seem to be describing).

jlc