[linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

iriXx m at irixx.org
Sat Oct 25 11:20:00 EDT 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:
>

>>Speaking of Creative Commons, did any of you see the major article in, of
>>all places, The Wall Street Journal last week about Creative Commons and a
>>new CD being released under that license.
>

> There is no "that license" and this is also what I don't like about
> Creavtive Commons. There is a whole bunch of CC licenses and some of
> these I wouldn't even consider "free".

the license that Mark is referring to is the Sampling License.

> For example there is a CC license that forbids commercial
> distribution. Such things would go to non-free in Debian.

thats the point of CC though - it isnt about free / non-free, its about
choice. some people feel as strongly about public domain as others do
about free software / free music. CC is just there to facilitate an easy
selection of licenses which are watertight legally, so that musicians /
artists / writers / filmmakers can get on with doing what they do best,
and licensing it according to their views.

personally, i use the Attribution-Share-Alike license, which is pretty
much a translation of the GPL.

but i will not be forced to judge that as being somehow 'better' than
Tom Poe's work with the Public Domain - www.studioforrecording.org.

both are about freedom. and unfortunately, if you really want to enable
freedom, you also have to allow freedom of choice.

the factionism that i see among some free software advocates disappoints
me greatly as it is totally in contrast to the spirit of freedom itself.
we cannot force people to be free - but some seem to be rather keen on
it. i'd hate to see the evolution of Free Software Nazism - but that
sort of thing dangerously approaches it.

free the freedom?

m~

--

  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are
subtle and will piss on your computer."
-- Bruce Graham

Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

  .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.