[linux-audio-user] Ardour mixdown questions/issues

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Oct 27 18:32:18 EST 2003

Luke Yelavich <luke at audioslack.com> writes:

> >Yes, there are plans to do a proper non-realtime mixdown, once
> >JACK supports it (soon).  This will be in before Ardour 1.0.
>
> For the time being, you could either bus everything to one bus and
> send it via JACK to a JACK enabled recorder, or send all individual
> tracks to a JACK enabled recorder. Thats what I do at the moment.

I have been doing something similar for quite a while now.  There may
be better ways, but this still works fine.

Create a stereo bus and connect your audio tracks to it.  Use this bus
to apply stereo effects, like freeverb and SC4 (a good stereo
compressor).  Connect the bus outputs to the appropriate playback
channels so you can hear what you're getting.  Then, create two more
audio tracks, Mix_L and Mix_R.  Connect the left and right bus outputs
to them, and use them to record the (wet) mix.  Then, export those two
tracks to a stereo WAV file.

When I first started using this scheme, ardour could not export a
stereo track to a WAV file.  It probably can now, and that would be
more natural than the Mix_L, Mix_R solution described above.  You may
want to experiment a bit.

This may sound complicated, but it's actually pretty easy.
--
  joq