[linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 23:56:01 EST 2003

Hi,

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've got two Linux boxes, one Gentoo and the
> other PlanetCCRMA. I
> need to move about 10GB of data from one to the
> other. How can I do
> this? I guess that over Ethernet maybe Samba or NFS
> might work?

If it's a one time kind of job, from the machine with
the data  on it 'scp foo
username at machinename:/home/username/destination/' or
from remote 'scp
username at machinename:/home/username/filename .' will
copy to the directory from which you execute the
command.

If you need to mirror then a .bashrc function in
conjunction with a script can help:
mirror ()
{
~/bin/rsync-clients
}

#!/bin/bash
#rsync mirror of daddy:/raid0/studio/clients, do not
delete local files which don't exist at the
source--daddy:/..., follow links outside the source
directory, cp links to local destination directory--do
not create link structure or copy to that destination
on
local--parker.multitrack.us:/mirror/studio/clients/LINK,
#kill with ctrl-c, --partial allows resuming of
session
#remove trailing /clients from destination

rsync --rsh=ssh --times --perms --owner --verbose
--progress --compress --recursive --stats --partial
--copy-links --delete --temp-dir=/mirror/tmp
--bwlimit=0
studio at step:/home/studio/clients/mirror/studio

Please do experiment with some test data. Despite the
description of what that script should do I don't
recall whether I changed the flags.

ron

 I don't