[linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Thu Oct 30 00:24:55 EST 2003

Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> writes:

>    I've got two Linux boxes, one Gentoo and the other PlanetCCRMA. I
> need to move about 10GB of data from one to the other. How can I do
> this? I guess that over Ethernet maybe Samba or NFS might work?

This is a very deep subject.  There are some reasonably accessible
books, like "Linux Network Administration".  NFS is not all that
difficult to configure and is probably built into your kernel already.
I have no personal experience with Samba, but I hear it is difficult
to set up.

FTP should be easy to get working.  It is quite adequate for moving
the amounts of data you mention, in fact it's probably the most
efficient method for moving large data files over an Ethernet.

Depending on your security needs the Berkeley "r-commands" (rsh, rcp,
rlogin, etc.) are quite convenient.  You can do things like...

  $ tar cf - * | rsh otherhost tar xf -

But, if your machines are accessible from the Internet, don't do this,
it is insecure.  Use the secure `ssh' instead.  Ssh is more difficult
to configure, but sends no unencrypted passwords across the network.
--
  joq