[linux-audio-user] mounting network drives for dummies?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Oct 30 04:21:41 EST 2003

Mark,

	On the machine that you want to be the source (as root):

edit /etc/exports and add the line:

/source_partition destination_system(rw)

where source_partition is the file system that you wish to share and
destination system is the name of the destination system (as shown in
/etc/hosts) or its IP address (192.168.0.whatever).  (rw) gives read and
write access to the destination system.  Then enter the following:

chkconfig portmap on
chkconfig nfs on
/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start

	On the destination system (as root):

chkconfig portmap on
chkconfig nfs on
chkconfig amd on
/etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/amd start

At this point, if you do:

cd /net/source_system
ls

you should see the source_partition.  I'm not sure if chkconfig is
available on all systems.  It is on RH.  On a RH system you can also use
"sevice nfs start" instead of "/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start".  The
chkconfig lines make these services start on boot so if you only want to
do it once don't do that on either system.  amd is the automounter
daemon.  All of this assumes that you have your network cards configured
so that each machine can see the other.  It's also handy to have the
name and IP address of each machine in the /etc/hosts file.

Jan