[linux-audio-user] alsa setup debug (was: jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p512 / problem to start)

felix.news at qodiga.com felix.news at qodiga.com
Thu Oct 30 07:52:14 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:29:25PM +0100, Tim Orford wrote:
> > > lspci -v
>
> As you trimmed the output we dont know what other hardware could be causing
> problems, but still, it looks ok.

Sorry... I suppose the output could be too long to post here.

> so which card are you trying to use? the ensoniq i guess.

Yes!. Because I compiled vortex drivers without success.

> looks ok.
> to use jack you only need "snd", "snd-pcm" and "snd-ens1370"

Ok.

> looks probably ok.
> probably you havnt saved your mixer settings?
> they live in /etc/asound.state (or your home dir)
> you might want to create one using the alsactl program as root.
> (i dont know why disributions dont do this as part of the alsa installation)

# ll /etc/asound.state
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6381 Sep 14 18:20    /etc/asound.state

now is here :-)

> > /var/log/boot.0:Thu Oct 16 14:24:13 2003: Starting ALSA (version 0.9.6):
> > warning, no drivers defined in /etc/modules.conf failed
>
> er, isnt this from last week? :-)

Yes. I don't know how to say in english but I'll try :-)  -> the power
company leave the city (this day) without power for political reasons.
[because power companies wants to grow up their taxes]

> all looks ok.
oh no! :-)... I expected an error or something wrong... :-))

> one further check: look in /proc/asound/cards
> there should be just one card "card0"

# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1370 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0x1480, irq 5

and

# ll -d /proc/asound/card?
dr-xr-xr-x    5 root     root      0 Oct 30 09:38 /proc/asound/card0/
-r--r--r--    1 root     root      0 Oct 30 09:38 /proc/asound/cards

> ># arecord -f cd > file.test
> >Recording WAVE 'stdout' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
> >Stereo
> >Aborted by signal Interrupt...
>
> i originally thought this was an error but i guess it is just
> you hitting Ctl-C.

Yes. I hitted Ctl-C because I don't know how to stop arecord :-)

> it looks like alsa is not the problem, but before moving onto jack
> maybe it would be wise to check recording from the soundcard input
> rather than stdin.

Ok... I'll take a look of arecord documentation, because arecord throw
the data to stdout.

> jack:
>
> how often are the xruns? or are they too fast to count?
Intinite times or using your words: 'too fast to count'.

> pls post the first few lines of jack output.

# jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p512 |head -n 6
JACK compiled with System V SHM support
open
starting engine

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.060 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 4.512 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.033 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 3.397 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.051 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.852 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.034 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.019 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.215 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.033 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.052 msecs

> you are running everything as root arnt you?
Yes.

> is the kernel compiled with low-latency and preemtible options?

The kernel is only compiled with low-latency because I can't find
preemptible patch for kernel 2.4.22.

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency
1
#

> maybe dont start with ardour as its undergoing rapid development
> atm. Better to imo use eg 'alsaplayer -o jack'. Also use one of
> the jack control guis such as qjackconnect or qjackctl to check
> jackd has 2 input ports and 2 output ports.

Without running jackd I tried to do that:

# jackrec -f pepe -d 4 0
cannot connect to jack server
cannot connect to default JACK server
jack server not running?
#

but running jackd [with a lot of xruns output in the other console]
I get this error:

# jackrec -f pepe -d 4 0
cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 0
# jackrec -f pepe -d 4 1
cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 1
# jackrec -f pepe -d 4 2
cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 2

[I changed port by hand... because I don't have qjackconnect or
qjackctl, I'll investigate why]

> cheers!
> --
> Tim Orford

Thanks a lot for your help Tim.

Felix

--
Félix Cuello
felix at qodiga.com
--
Las gentes que nunca se preocupan por sus antepasados jamás mirarán hacia la
posteridad.