[linux-audio-user] alsa setup debug (was: jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p512 / problem to start)

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Thu Oct 30 13:19:31 EST 2003

> > so which card are you trying to use? the ensoniq i guess.
>
> Yes!. Because I compiled vortex drivers without success.

just to be on the safe side, maybe you could disable the vortex
in the bios while debugging...

> > > /var/log/boot.0:Thu Oct 16 14:24:13 2003: Starting ALSA (version 0.9.6):

so alsa init sript runs without errors now...?

> Yes. I don't know how to say in english but I'll try :-)  -> the power
> company leave the city (this day) without power for political reasons.
> [because power companies wants to grow up their taxes]

wow!

> > >Aborted by signal Interrupt...
> >
> > i originally thought this was an error but i guess it is just
> > you hitting Ctl-C.
>
> Yes. I hitted Ctl-C because I don't know how to stop arecord :-)

i think that is the way:-)

> > it looks like alsa is not the problem, but before moving onto jack
> > maybe it would be wise to check recording from the soundcard input
> > rather than stdin.
>
> Ok... I'll take a look of arecord documentation, because arecord throw
> the data to stdout.

i think you can specify a filename with arecord...

maybe ecasound, rezound, sweep, or audacity might help also.

but i do think its important to check that both soundcard "in"
and "out" are working.

> > jack:
> >
> > how often are the xruns? or are they too fast to count?
> Intinite times or using your words: 'too fast to count'.

the only time i have seen this is when there was a problem
with alsa, but who knows? But it does seem to indicate that
jack is not at all happy with alsa for some reason.

you could maybe try jack with "--playback" option....

> > pls post the first few lines of jack output.
>
> # jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p512 |head -n 6
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support
> open
> starting engine
>
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.060 msecs

unfortunately, head is not showing some output from jack.

you are missing this line:
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|4096|2|48000|nomon|swmeter|rt

this is useful cos it shows how jack is actually running.

> The kernel is only compiled with low-latency because I can't find
> preemptible patch for kernel 2.4.22.

maybe its standard?
does your kernel compile ".config" file have "CONFIG_PREEMPT=y"?

> > maybe dont start with ardour as its undergoing rapid development
> > atm. Better to imo use eg 'alsaplayer -o jack'. Also use one of
> > the jack control guis such as qjackconnect or qjackctl to check
> > jackd has 2 input ports and 2 output ports.
>
> Without running jackd I tried to do that:
>
> # jackrec -f pepe -d 4 0
> cannot connect to jack server
> cannot connect to default JACK server
> jack server not running?

:-)

> #
>
> but running jackd [with a lot of xruns output in the other console]
> I get this error:
>
> # jackrec -f pepe -d 4 0
> cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 0
> # jackrec -f pepe -d 4 1
> cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 1
> # jackrec -f pepe -d 4 2
> cannot connect input port jackrec:input1 to 2
>

> [I changed port by hand... because I don't have qjackconnect or
> qjackctl, I'll investigate why]

http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net
http://www.suse.de/~mana/jack.html

but i suspect none of these will work with your 'infinite' xruns :-)

> Las gentes que nunca se preocupan por sus antepasados jamás mirarán hacia la
> posteridad.
> 		-- Edmund Burke. (1729-1797) Político y escritor británico.

"The more deeply we penetrate into the labyrinth of art, the further we
find ourselves from those ends for which we entered it." Burke (A Vindication
of Natural Society, 1756.)

i hope that doesnt apply in this case! :-)

--
Tim Orford