[linux-audio-user] RE: mounting network drives for dummies?

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Thu Oct 30 13:16:48 EST 2003

> a shot in the dark here, but i have a similar problem regarding huge
> sample libraries on my Mac. despite having hfsplus 1.0.4 installed on
> the redhat machine and OS X's samba active, i can access the volume
> from redhat, but can't access any files...
>
> anybody overcome these obstacles?

i am accessing files shared with samba by macosx from linux without any
problem. you won't need the hfsplus. i don't remember what i did to set
it up at the mac site (and i don't have a monitor attached right now),
but i am quite sure it was the basic stuff as explained in the help.

how are you mounting the samba share on the linux side? my guess is that
you don't specify the user id that the mounted share should have on the
linux side.

if my linux users' uid is 1021, and i want to mount the homedir of user
mdeboer on the mac, with hostname the_mac:

mount -t smbfs -o username=mdeboer,uid=1021 //the_mac/mdeboer /mnt/mac

maarten