[linux-audio-user] Latency question

millward millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Tue Sep 2 18:22:01 EDT 2003

How bad is  2 ms latency?
I'm trying to decide upon a sound card and
I've noticed that the Creative Sound Blaster
Audigy 2 has a 2 ms latency, but offers
"hiss free" audio fidelity at 106 dB SNR.
The Delta 410 has zero latency, but its $200 US.
Now I'm an idiot at this high end sound card stuff,
so I'm not sure what really matters. All I want to do
is use Linux Audacity to record my own multi-track
creations  and convert LP 33rpm records to CD.
I'm sick of tape hiss!  After 4 tracks my analog
tape machine is useless. So I bought this here
computer to get away from that hiss and maybe
record something I can listen to without grinding
my teeth.
Any adice would be most welcome!