[linux-audio-user] Latency question

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Sep 2 18:40:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 05:01:17PM -0500, millward wrote:
> How bad is  2 ms latency?
> I'm trying to decide upon a sound card and
> I've noticed that the Creative Sound Blaster
> Audigy 2 has a 2 ms latency, but offers
> "hiss free" audio fidelity at 106 dB SNR.

hmm. I'd look at independent test results before I believe
any such SNR specs. it's possible that they've produced
such a card ...  it's also possible they've fudged the specs.

as for the 2 ms latency... i don't think there's actually any
difference between the cards there, I think they're talking about
different things.  An input -> output round-trip will
invariably have some latency,
and 2 ms is pretty close to the hardware limit. The "zero latency"
feature of some "pro" cards means that you can monitor inputs before
they go through the A-D / D-A conversion so you don't hear a
smeary delay on the live parts.  I don't know if the Audigy does
this.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com