[linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

BartonBosch at aol.com BartonBosch at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 04:46:48 EDT 2003

In a message dated 9/1/03 12:43:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
clemens at ladisch.de writes:

> snd-mpu401-uart is the driver for the external MIDI port (you'd need a
> gameport/MIDI adapter for this). snd-rawmidi is an ALSA module
> handling device file management and buffering for MIDI ports.
> snd-opl3-lib is the driver for the OPL3 FM synth.

Thanks, got it.  So if I wanted to deal with the FM sound quality I could use
the legacy synth?

> I guess Muse uses the ALSA sequencer. Run "aconnect -o" to see a list
> of output ports.

This is the output of aconnect -o when both TiMidity and MusE are running:

[barton at localhost barton]$ aconnect -o
client 128: 'Client-128' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '
    1 'TiMidity port 1 '
client 129: 'MusE Sequencer' [type=user]
    0 'MusE Port 0     '

> >Checking /proc/asound/devices does not list any midi devices,
>
> Did you specifiy the parameters for snd-ymfpci in modules.conf?
> (e.g. mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388)

No I didn't.  So to use alsa with the midi port that is on the motherboard I
would need to configure the memory address mpu_port=0x330 in /etcmodules.conf?
 Does the line need to go in a specific place, and is that the exact syntax?
Is this documented somewhere?  I have installed alsa manually on this machine
before (this time I used  the Planet RPMs and alsaconf) and I don't remember
seeing anything that referrred to memory addresses for the midi ports.

Thanks,

Barton