[linux-audio-user] Jack problem

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Sep 4 12:00:02 EDT 2003

> > Or another possibility could be that he doesn't actually have memory
> > available? If he's got a 128MB machine and some other big apps
> loaded, then
> > he might not have the 30MB or whatever it is that Jack requires?
> >

> I don't think it's a hardware problem, I have 256MB, it should be enough.
> Can it be caused by the temp files used by jack or by the shared memory
> file system shmfs. I have had problem mounted it last time and I wonder
> if I don't need to have jack install after having the correct
> shmfs support.
>
> Christophe

I've seen this exact message when loading large sound fonts in Fluid Synth.
I had 256MB at the time.

Jack takes more memory than you first think, or at least it reports that
it's using a lot. If you have lots of free memory then this is not likely
the problem. I only offered it as an alternative idea, not as a solution.

It could be, I suppose, caused by where you are mounting the Jack tmp
directory. You might reply back with both:

1) the results of 'top' before you start Jack.

2) Your fstab file contents

Please remember Steve's comment. Possibly there is a permissions problem.
Could your shmfs only be allowing root to gain access?

- Mark