[linux-audio-user] RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: help needed

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sun Sep 7 16:22:01 EDT 2003

Robert Epprecht wrote on Sun, 07-Sep-2003:

 > Hmm, here I have the first question: Do I have to run alsamixer or
 > hdspmixer or both to unmute the channels? (I have tried all of this).
 >
 > I have tried to feed a signal to analog input 1 and get it out from
 > analog output 1.  I have also tried to set the internal routing with
 > amixer, but don't know if I have done that right...  Well, the doc
 > says hdsp defaults to route inputx to outputx anyway.  But I can't
 > hear anything...

First, install alsaplayer, as Mark mentioned.
http://alsaplayer.sourceforge.net

I think that the answer lies in hdspmixer.  The analog
output on the multiface is where you need to route your audio.
Chances are, the stereo output of alsaplayer and most other apps
will show up on playback channel 1-2.  So what you need to do
is right click on the box beneath the fader of channel 1 on the
*middle* row of faders, and select Analog from the popup menu.  Now move
that fader up to 0db.  This sends playback channels audio 1-2 to the
analog outputs.

Now, *be careful*, if you have headphones plugged
in, some are more efficient than others and this output could
damage them and your ears.  You can control the level of the analog
output with the fader at the bottom right corner, start it at
the bottom, and bring it up while playing something with alsaplayer
to find the right level for your headphones.  If you are sending
it line-level into something else, you can keep it at 0db.

I recommend that you read RMEs TotalMix webpages well, to grasp
the full power of this mixer, it can definitely be confusing.

jlc