[linux-audio-user] RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: SOLVED :-)

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Tue Sep 9 09:34:00 EDT 2003

Robert Epprecht <epprecht at solnet.ch> writes:

> I'm having a hard time bringing my new RME pci interface and Multiface
> to run... and would appreciate some help ;-)

And I have got a *lot* of help on the list and by PM.
I'd like to say thank you very much to everybody who helped me!

The problem was my firmware version. I had version 10 and have upgraded
to version 11.  Now everything I have tested so far works like expected!

Some important steps that I had missed on the path of setting up a
RME Hammerfall DSP card (in my case a PCI interface and a multiface)
on a Linux box using ALSA:

* You can determine the firmware version by doing 'lspci -vv'

* Firmware version 10 (0a) did not work for me,
  version 11 (0b) seems to run fine as far as I can tell by now.
  (This version is the current version on the RME webside).

* If you use the snd-hdsp module you have to call hdsploader from alsa-tools
  after loading the module.

* Things like un-muting, setting channel levels and channel routing is done
  in hdspmixer from alsa-tools.

* Settings like Clock sync, sample rate and type of SPDIF in/out are set
  by the program called 'hdspconf'.

Robert Epprecht