[linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at sportident.de
Mon Sep 15 18:22:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Stewart Felstead wrote:

> Tim/ Mark,
>
> Thanks for your comments, I must admit I am struggling a bit. My aim is
> to build a dual-purpose machine, none of which require a fancy gui. I'm
> building an app server for work related stuff (DB, WebServer etc.) and
> when it's doing those jobs I wont need any of the music/ sound related
> stuff. And a MAME station, fully kitted out in a dedicated cabinet. So I
> need alsa for xmame, I don't need it for any music related stuff as I do
> that on an XP setup I've got on a better PC.
>
> So if anyones got any pointers to getting the simplest setup up and
> running I really would appreciate it. Bandwith isn't an issue, so if
> there's a distribution that comes with alsa and config as part of the
> setup.............. maybe?
>
> Rgds
> Stew

Stew,

You might want to have a look at Debian/unstable. Debian has the
reputation of being not that easy to install (I had no problems, though;
And these guys are developing a new installer, I think), but once
it's up and running it is really easy to keep up to date. Furthermore,
Debian comes with a _really_ huge amount of packages, containing all the
audio apps you need (I think).

Burkhard