[linux-audio-user] JACK splat

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Thu Sep 18 09:58:00 EDT 2003

Thursday 18 September 2003 15:14 skrev Dave Phillips:
> Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> > What's your soundcard?  I think being able to open a sound device
> > multiple times is dependent on if the hardware supports that.  I can run
> > jack and xmms (without the jack plugin) concurrently on my sb512.
>
> SBLive Value, and of course it just occurs to me that I've run and
> recorded from XMMS with Ardour many times, so the problem must lie
> elsewheres, i.e., not with JACK, yes ?

Right, SBLive (emu10k based) has a built in 64ch mixer.

I have heard other stories though that mention problems with similar
situations, though the otherway around ;).
E.g, if artsd is started it's impossible to start jackd. I have not researched
the cause.

Thinking about it, it could be that the different apps tries to open the
device with different settings, samplingfrequency etc... I can imagine that
the card does not allow this.

/Robert