[linux-audio-user] Weird glitchy noise in Mozilla

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Sep 22 01:04:38 EDT 2003

Mark Knecht wrote:
 > Hi,
 >    I run across this problem a lot in Linux. Maybe someone can help me
 > make my Gentoo system do audio better. All the straight Alsa stuff works
 > well. However, when I'm browsing around I come to web sites that
 > probably want to play some audio, but this is Linux and Alsa, so things
 > don't work easily. At the web site
 >
 > http://www.skale.org
 >
 > I start getting this repeating glitch noise every 8 seconds or so. It
 > hasn't happened every time I've visited the site today, but it's
 > happened a lot of times.
 >
 >    In hdspmixer I see this glitch on all 26 playback channels, by the
 > way, so I'm assuming that this means it's some sort of OSS problem, but
 > I'm not sure.

It's probably the flash/java plugins audio code being stinky.

 >    What's wrong with my setup of Alsa, which in most other ways works
 > just fine, and why can I also not get mp3 (well, really xmms) to work
 > under Linux?

What is the error? Can you start it up? Are you using the alsa driver or
the oss driver?

 >    BTW - much non-Alsa audio from Games works fine, but also drives all
 > 26 playback channels. Should it really work this way?

No, but the hdsp only has one subdevice IIUC and the oss emulation
probably onpens the subdevice for writing. You should let the alsa
developer sknow that this is happening so they can make a work around
for devices like yours or fix the driver.

Most people don' use an hdsp for playing games on anyhow. It's common to
have a consumer card for that as hw:0 and the pro cards as hw:1 hw:2 ...

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman