[linux-audio-user] easy sampler

Jeremiah Benham jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com
Wed Sep 24 22:23:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:40:33PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Ah, okay. You might want to take a look at Pd then, which is a modular
> synth and more. Doing such a sample-player in Pd is really easy. If
> you need help, I could just build a Pd patch that does this very
> quickly. The help file for the readsf~ object would be a good start.
> The good thing, is that with Pd (or jMax or SSM) you can build very
> personalized samplers and other things *without* knowing C++

I am in the process of learning Pd. How is the performance with sample
based synthesis compared to fuidsynth. Fluidsynth runs nice on my pc but
I will not compile on my powerbook because it has bits of x86 assembly
in it. Stange they have it for osX and linux but not ppc linux.
I currently do alot of sample synth in csounds. Real-time Performance wise can you give me a comparison of sfront, csound, and PD?  Has any body tried to benchmark such things?  I only have a cheesy celeron on my pc now also so I plan to use pd to come up with quick ideas that I may later translate into csounds.

C/C++ would not be a bad thing to learn though do you think?

Thanks,
Jeremiah