[linux-audio-user] jaming over the internet?

juto aviten periclite at free.fr
Tue Sep 30 04:52:01 EDT 2003

Gustavo Zamorano S. wrote:

>>> Anybody know of an application that allows streaming of midi
>>> and/or audio over the net for the purpose of allowing several
>>> people to jam together?

Hi, We worked here with differents apps to do that, one we really used
for that is called RAT :
http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/rat/
It lets you have a conferencies room, where friends could join you and
each of you could send sound to the others and jam together with very
low latency!!!
The others tools are speakfreely, sfspeaker, but it's more like peer to
peer built. Or you have the solution to build patch with PureData, mix
sound streaming from the other, and change parameters with netsend and
netreceive (TCP control protocol), the object in PD to have live audio
streaming are oggcast~ or mp3cast~

the simple idea for that is :

source -> mp3cast~ -> Icecast server -> "internet"->mp3amp~ (in PD -
which could received a stream in a patch) -> patch (and reverse the
process!!!)

PureData -> http://testpd.iem.at/about/

hope it will help

good jam